Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tatting--An Estate Sale Find





As promised, I'm showing you some of my estate sale finds. In two boxes I paid very little for, I received some beautiful, long pieces of tatting. Apparently the lady who had died did a great deal of tatting, and her children did not want it. Pretty tatted doilies or the gentle tatted edge of a handkerchief can certainly be lovely. I'm not sure how old this work is nor what this lady had intended all of her work to go toward--perhaps the edges of pillows or table runners or cuffs. These are just two examples of the colors and detail of what I found--there are several others that I haven't taken pictures of. These just happen to be what I'm selling on Ebay this weekend. I'm not really into tatting--especially this wide. I suppose if they do not sell, I could find some pillows or table runners of my own to stitch these on. I have never done tatting but having done several types of needlework in the past, I can really appreciate all the work that must have gone into these. Any needle work takes time and patience, and I respect the lady who did all of this. Handwork can be exquisite--tiny works of art--and she has my highest regard. I truly hope it can be used, enjoyed, and appreciated by someone or by many.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo so pretty..

blushing rose said...

Never seen it done in colors before, beautiful.

Have a wonderful warm weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so glad to see that some tatting is going to an appreciative home! What a great find!

Gina said...

It's not terribly old because some of the variegated and solid colors have been around only 10-15 years. It's a shame her family did not appreciate them and find a way to use or display them. There is a lot of time and skill involved that most people don't understand until they try it themselves. Many crazy quilters use bits and pieces in their work so you will probably sell them.