Wednesday, December 23, 2009

For the Love of Guilloche

I never really knew what guilloche (not to mention how to pronounce it) was until my mom told me a story (along with a quest) about a piece of jewelry her grandmother owned. It was a blue enamel piece in the shape of a bow with little pink flowers on it. She remembers her grandmother had it and upon her death was buried with that brooch on. My mom mentioned that she is on a quest to find a piece that looks like that. Well, first I did a search to figure out exactly what it was she was looking for (always a good idea to figure out at the beginning of a serious search) and discovered that guilloche is an interlaced curved pattern either painted or carved on metal over which is clear enamel so that the pattern shows through. You can see that in the white on these pictures. A simple search on Ebay revealed a plethora of amazing, gorgeous pieces--jewelry, compacts, hair brushes and combs, etc. There are stunning pieces are out there...and pricey too at times...my favorites with backgrounds of white, green, and blue. While I still haven't found the blue, pink-rose encrusted bow brooch, I have and will continue to enjoy the search.
The Coro-signed locket brooch in the pictures above, I found at an estate sale. I contemplated taking the piece apart since I like the parts of it but not the locket/brooch as a whole. However, I figure why take a nice signed piece apart that someone else may be looking for or want. I've put this in my Etsy shop. Perhaps someday, I may find just the right guilloche piece that "speaks to me" for my own enjoyment (and at the right price). Until then, I shall continue to enjoy looking at all that is out there...and perhaps I just might find that blue bow brooch for my mom.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! This is gorgeous! Great find.

May your holiday season be blessed & beautiful ~
Merry Christmas ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Patti said...

Hi Michele~ I am excited to be your partner for the Vintage Valentine Swap! Your blog is gorgeous and it looks like we have a lot in common. I could not find an e-mail address for you, but mine is plindeman@palos118.org. I would love to find out more about you! Hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Michelle:
It's a beautiful piece! I'll keep my eyes peeled, too. Two heads are always better than one! ;-)

Happy New Year, my friend. Glad we met this year. Can't wait to see what the new year holds for us.

Blessings,
Donna

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Michele:
Is THIS what you're looking for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sweet-French-1920s-GUILLOCHE-STERLING-Bow-Pin-roses_W0QQitemZ180447458493QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fine_Jewelry?hash=item2a0381b4bd

I just found it on eBay today. (Fingers crossed!!!)
Love,
Donna