Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Garden is Now In....and a Game to Recommend

Well, we finally got our veggie garden in this past week (still working on the flowers). I know...it took us forever, but better late than never. It's a small garden really. It makes me sneeze and itch just thinking of weeding, but the veggies are worth it in the end. We put in tomatoes (of course, like, who doesn't put in tomatoes??), spinach, broccoli, corn, peppers (I finally will try to grow some peppers this year--yum), green beans, peas, and carrots. Yum! Hopefully we will get a good enough harvest so that I can freeze a lot for the winter. I so dislike wasting and try to make use of every bit that grows.
Speaking of gardens...I bought this game, The Garden Game, at a yard sale awhile back. It is a wonderful game! I played it for the first time this past week with my kids (6 and 9) after we finished with the garden (I thought it was appropriate since they helped plant the seeds). It was a little over my 6-year-old's head and I had to explain a thing or two to my 9 year old, but it taught all sorts of wonderful things about pollinators, microbes in the soil, composting, mulching, etc. while our little stones worked their way around the garden path. Whoever has the most in their garden (via garden cards--beautifully illustrated, by the way) by the time the first person gets to the garden gate wins. It was fun and educational, and I'd highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Pumpkin,

Your beautiful gifts have found their way to my blog and I'm sharing them with everyone on this very special Pink Saturday.

Thank you again Michele for my loving and gorgeous gifts. Please stop by and take a peak when you have a chance.

xo Cathy

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

What a sweet blog you have and what a perfect game to teach kids the love of gardening!
Thats something that will stay with them their entire lives! There is nothing like a homegrown tomato :-)
Lynn

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Looking forward to photos of your garden, and that game looks like fun! Have a great weekend.
xoxo
Donna