Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Kids' Sailors' Valentines

I'm not overly wild about things made with shells, but sailors' valentines can certainly be compelling. Of course, I know what they are about--sailors gathering shells while on shore when away at sea. They think of their sweethearts back home and make elaborate valentines (or boxes or whatever) to give them upon their return. Well, in a lot of jewelry I purchased a bit ago, I found two necklaces of rather beautiful little shells and instantly thought of an art project for my kids. A quick Google search of sailors' valentines turned up some amazingly beautiful and elaborate examples--I was in awe of some of them. Well, the ones above are my kids' results! I was pleased and quite impressed actually what a 9 year old boy and a 7 year old girl could do. I think they turned out beautifully--and it gave them a unique, interesting, and inexpensive art lesson not to mention a pretty way to use up those shells.

1 comment:

Artifice said...

I love your kids sailor valentines!!!!!!