Sunday, March 6, 2011

New Hand-made Piano Bench


Thankfully my hubby grew up working with his contractor father and isn't afraid to work with his hands--in fact he enjoys it. We received a piano last fall so that our children could start piano lessons. No, they haven't given up the violin but are taking BOTH piano and violin (it's good form them...and I know someday they will be glad they did). Their violin lessons are more intense, and piano lessons are more relaxed...because, well, Grandma is teaching them (she is very talented, though doesn't play as much as she used to) and gives them a lesson every other week. It has been great fun for the kids as well as for Grandma. They have time one-on-one with her, and she has the great joy to teach her extensive knowledge to some eager grandkids. They have played for nursing home church services already and are dong well (they elderly folk there think they are just wonderful!). Anyway, we obtained this piano (with a promise never to sell it) only it came without a bench. Well, hubby built this one and did a fabulous job, I think. Perhaps someday I will make a little cushion for the very top, but I think it looks pretty just as it is.

2 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

What fabulous craftsmanship! Your hubby is very talented!! My hat's off to him for creating such a treasure for you.
I took violin lessons years ago and tortured my family with my practice sessions... oh it wasn't pretty. I wish I could say I've become an accomplished violin player but alas I have NOT. I do better with a glue gun LOL! Tell you young ones to keep at it and do lots better than I did.

Big hugs, Sherry

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Michele,

What a wonderful piano bench your hubby made! You think he may have time and make me a piano?? Lol...
My father bought my mother a piano when I was five years old and some of my fondest memories are singing along with my mom as she played the piano. Sadly when I did not have room for the piano I loaned it to a girlfriend so her children could learn to play with the condition that someday I would like it back again. When I finally could have it back again I found out she had given it to someone else. I was so sad!!

Enjoy and make some wonderful memories!!

Hugs and Smiles,

Susan