Monday, October 10, 2011

Waxing Leaves


I remember waxing leaves in the fall as a child.  It was a way, I suppose, to help keep fall going a little longer by preserving the leaves in all their beauty to enjoy well after they have all been trodden underfoot (and even under the snow!).  Of course these days there are many ways to preserve leaves; however, I still like to wax them for fall decor.  It is inexpensive and fun--especially collecting those pretty leaves during a sunny autumn afternoon walk.  
I thought these leaves would be pretty around my Japanese teapot--the colors matched--besides there is nothing like having hot tea during a crisp, fall morning.  Mmmmm!  Several of these leaves will find their way down to Florida where we have a niece and nephew who are freshmen at college and would no doubt welcome a "care package" with a token from "up North" in it.  If you don't live where these pretty leaves abound, don't forget the tissue paper leaves the kids and I made a few years ago.  They are pretty for sure and easy to make.  If you would like to go to that post, you may HERE.  There are complete instructions on how to make "stained glass" leaves in the post.  Happy fall!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness.... I had forgotten this craft!! I remember learning how to do this in elementary school! I wonder if children do these simple crafts now?? Probably not.... Look at what they are missing.
Have a Great Day!
Marilyn

Old Time Cindy said...

I'm going to have to wax leaves for some fall decor. Thanks for sharing!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I remember my Mom doing that for me when I was "young".
Awesome view from your dinning room! I could sit there for hours.
Deb :)